Compare multiple providers to find the right cover for you

Income protection will pay you a monthly income, for a set period of time, in the event that you are unable to work due to illness or injury. The policy will pay a percentage of your normal income, so that you can meet your priority financial commitments and living expenses while you recover.

If you’re self-employed or working for a company that doesn’t provide sufficient sickness benefits, then having an income protection policy gives you the reassurance that you’ll be able to cover costs if you have to go off work.


Can I have income protection if I am self-employed?

In short, yes. This is probably one of the most important things when you’re self-employed. If you suffer from an illness or injury, which leaves you unable to work, what would you do? You may be able to apply for Employment and Support Allowance, which is nominal compared to your monthly income. You can expect to receive up to two-thirds of your monthly salary.

How much does income protection pay out?

Most income protection policies will pay out two-thirds of your normal monthly salary, as the policies are intended to act as a stop gap, as opposed to fully replacing your income.

Each policy has what is known as a “deferred period” which is the time between when you first go off work and when the payments start. Deferred periods range from 4 to 26 weeks. When you apply for your policy, you can choose which deferred period is right for you – for example, you might have savings that will last you for a few months, meaning that you don’t need the payments to start until then. The longer your deferred period, the cheaper your premiums will be.

Do I need income protection?

That all depends on your personal situation, but to help you decide, you should ask yourself the following questions:

If the answer to any of the questions above is “No” or “I don’t know,” then you might need income protection. Speak to one of our advisers, and they will talk through your options and help you decide what type of cover is right for you.


Want to speak with us? There are plenty of ways to get in touch…

Our friendly team look forward to hearing from you.

  • Tel: 0203 1299 628 | 07973 758283
  • Email:

    A&A Independent Financial Services Ltd (FCA number 950425) registered Office: 2 Acorn Grove, Kingswood, Tadworth, Surrey, KT20 6QT

    The actual APRC you are eligible for depends on individual circumstances. If you are thinking of consolidating existing borrowing you should be aware that you may be extending the terms of the debt and increasing the amount you repay.


    The guidance and/or advice contained within the website is subject to the UK regulatory regime and is therefore primarily targeted at customers in the UK.

    The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) is an agency for arbitrating of unresolved complaints between regulated firms and their clients. Further details of the FOS can be found on its website: